Yes, I am really into starting the Christmas season immediately following Thanksgiving dinner. Our tree is already up and we had a wreath on our door and lights put outside few weeks ago thanks to my loving husband. Much to his chagrin, one can also find me by the television nightly either watching ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas or on the Hallmark Channel. So for anyone else who likes to indulge in yuletide cheer, here is a list of wonderful Christmas goodies to cozy up by the fire (or space heater) with.
1. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Always a favorite, and I am guilty of watching all 25+ versions played on television during this time of year.
2. The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
Another classic tale, keep your tissues nearby!
3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Suess
I always feel a sense of pure joy every time I see that the Grinch’s heart three sizes larger!
4. Yes Virginia, There is a Santa Claus by Francis P. Church
This response to eight-year old Virginia O’Hanlon in 1897 is a great book with a little history.
5. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Loved seeing this book cover as a child, still love it today.
6. The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore
Excellent illustrations bring the magical night to life.
7. Nutcracker by E.T.A. Hoffmann
This was my favorite play growing up, and I loved seeing it performed at the Providence Performing Arts Center.
8. Louisa May Alcott’s Christmas Treasury
The author of Little Women is always a good holiday choice when you’re in need of cheer!
9. The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
I remember my elementary school librarian introducing us to this book and it’s beautiful illustrations.
10. The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum
Exciting tales about the life of Santa by the Wizard of Oz author.
I hope seeing some of these titles brought you back to your own childhood!